Home
Fact-checked

At HomeQuestionsAnswered, we're committed to delivering accurate, trustworthy information. Our expert-authored content is rigorously fact-checked and sourced from credible authorities. Discover how we uphold the highest standards in providing you with reliable knowledge.

Learn more...

What is a Blood Lily?

A Blood Lily is a captivating plant, known for its fiery red, globe-shaped flowers that burst into bloom like a botanical spectacle. This exotic beauty, thriving in warm climates, is not just a visual delight but also a symbol of life's vividness. Curious about how to nurture this fiery gem in your own garden? Let's unearth its secrets together.
Laura Evans
Laura Evans

Native to Africa, the blood lily, or African blood lily, is a perennial plant that can be grown from seeds or bulbs. This lily has a short blooming period that lasts about two weeks. The bulb of this plant is toxic to both people and animals when eaten.

Blood lilies do well in full sun, although their flowers will last longer if the lilies are planted in partial shade. These lilies prefer well-drained, consistently moist soil, although it is possible to over water the plants. The plants also grow well in containers.

Due to its toxic chemicals, deer do not eat the blood lily.
Due to its toxic chemicals, deer do not eat the blood lily.

In temperate areas, a blood lily may die back during winter. Blood lilies should be covered with mulch during the winter months in cooler temperature zones. These lilies should be removed from the ground and stored during the winter months if the weather is severe.

When planted from a seed, a blood lily will typically not bloom until the third year. Blood lilies can be separated and replanted after the lilies bloom. These lilies bloom once every year during mid to late summer. The blooms consist of almost 200 tiny red to orange flowers that are bunched together spherically. Flowers ultimately become bright red berries.

When a cat or a dog eats part of a blood lily, the animal should be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible.
When a cat or a dog eats part of a blood lily, the animal should be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible.

The fact that the bulbs of the blood lily are toxic is both good and bad. It is good for the plant itself because its toxicity prevents animals such as deer or rodents from eating the lily, although the lily will still attract snails and slugs. Unfortunately, children and house pets may not know this information.

Blood lilies contain chemicals such as lycorine that are poisonous. Although a blood lily is considered to be "relatively low" in toxicity, eating the bulbs can cause discomfort, including nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. Depending on the amount of the plant the person or animal ate, the smaller the person or animal, the more severe the symptoms of consuming blood lily bulbs are likely to be.

If a pet eats a blood lily, the owner should call a poison center hot line for help.
If a pet eats a blood lily, the owner should call a poison center hot line for help.

When a cat or a dog eats part of a blood lily, the animal should be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible. If the poisoning occurs “off hours,” the pet can be taken to a pet emergency hospital. The owner can also call a poison center hot line for pets for advice.

You might also Like

Discuss this Article

Post your comments
Login:
Forgot password?
Register:
    • Due to its toxic chemicals, deer do not eat the blood lily.
      By: satori
      Due to its toxic chemicals, deer do not eat the blood lily.
    • When a cat or a dog eats part of a blood lily, the animal should be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible.
      By: Ilike
      When a cat or a dog eats part of a blood lily, the animal should be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible.
    • If a pet eats a blood lily, the owner should call a poison center hot line for help.
      By: Alliance
      If a pet eats a blood lily, the owner should call a poison center hot line for help.