At HomeQuestionsAnswered, we're committed to delivering accurate, trustworthy information. Our expert-authored content is rigorously fact-checked and sourced from credible authorities. Discover how we uphold the highest standards in providing you with reliable knowledge.
A carbon monoxide alarm is a special alarm that monitors the level of carbon monoxide within a specific area. This type of alarm protects humans and animals from carbon monoxide poisoning. A plug in carbon monoxide detector is typically a small alarm that can be plugged into a wall electrical outlet. This easy installation is one of the greatest benefits of the plug-in version.
One of the primary deficiencies of a plug in carbon monoxide detector is the need for electrical power. In the event of a power failure, home protection is lost. This could leave the family vulnerable during storms or other natural disasters.
A hybrid version of this type of carbon monoxide detector has a battery backup. With battery backup, the detector will automatically switch to DC power when AC power is lost. This provides added security to families during power failures.
The digital display of the plug in carbon monoxide detector is a benefit. These units typically display the level of poison particles floating in the air. If the level exceeds the maximum threshold, the system will sound an alarm.
Portability is one of the greatest benefits of the plug in carbon monoxide detector. These detectors can be taken on vacation and used in hotel rooms. This provides poison security to families while they are traveling.
When a carbon monoxide detector starts beeping, it is important to get out of the home and call for emergency responders. This beeping will begin when the detector senses poison in the air. This poison is odorless and smokeless, which makes it hard for an individual to notice without an alarm.
When smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detector batteries get low, the system will execute small beeps. This is designed to warn the owner before the batteries die. This is not typical of a plug in carbon monoxide detector. If an individual hears the detector beep, he should not assume it is a false alarm.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause serious health problems. These include headaches, vomiting, and even death. An individual should seek immediate medical attention if he has been exposed to excessive carbon monoxide. Neglecting these symptoms could lead to long-term health problems.
A carbon monoxide detector is important regardless of the type. The plug in, hybrid, and pure battery model all provide good protection. When selecting a model, user preference is typically the most important. Hybrid models are typically the most expensive and flexible.